Monday, September 21, 2015

SPRING CHALLENGE 2015 HEALTH + VITALITY

Last week I shared part of my Spring Challenge to take more steps in my day. For the first week I downloaded the Daily steps app from the app store which has monitored my steps everyday (when I remember to have my phone on me). I was impressed with the amount of steps that I had taken during the week without exercising on purpose. This week I hope to venture out for a walk or jog around our park next door. Lets hope I stick to my intentions. Several mornings last week I envisioned myself getting up and going when I awoke at 6-6:30 but I didn't. 


I have also just started making smoothies and trying to have one a day but I would like to incorporate more. I am choosing to have my smoothie in the morning after my first coffee, in place of my breakfast. 

I had an epiphany over the weekend and realised why my youngest did not get sick over winter, even though I was struck down with a cold twice. This was the fact that she had a smoothie most days after school.


Above are our smoothies which we had Sunday morning. I do not really follow recipes and just add what I have around in the freezer, fresh in the crisper or int he pantry.

Breakfast Smoothie

frozen Blueberries (we buy the coles or woolworths brand)
frozen banana
ice
handful of almonds

I tend to blend the harder frozen products first and then add
1 cup of baby spinach
5 fresh strawberries
1/2 cup of oats
1/2 a teaspoon chia seeds
1/2 cup of milk
1 cup of water

Blend together until desired consistency and poor into jars. I have used a coloured glass jar on the left and a woolworths pasta sauce jar on the right.

I have found the smoothies are rich and healthy keeping me full of energy for the entire day. I feel so healthy and know that my body is thanking me.

The green smoothie in the above photo with my favourite super green smoothie book by Sally Obermeder and her sister Maha Koraiem.

Mango Green Smoothie

1 cup of frozen mango
1/2 cup frozen banana
1 cup baby spinach
handful almonds
1/2 teaspoon chia seeds
1/4 cup frozen blueberries
ice
1 cup milk
water added to get desired consistency

I bought a new blender over the weekend as our other one broke after being on its last legs for a few months. I went to our local K-Mart and bought a Kambrook in a fabulous red colour.

TIP - try to always use frozen fruit and ice to keep the smoothie very cold.

Do you have a favourite go to smoothie recipe?
or 
Do you just play and mix what you have on hand at the time?

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog. I love reading your comments, they are important to me. V x

Hover to Pin

Blog Design by Get Polished