Monday, July 29, 2013

benefits of RIDING A BICYCLE


Yes, as you may have realised I have gone bicycle crazy. The last month or so I have been haunted about purchasing a bicycle and I finally did it. I was contemplating a standard ladies vintage bike and the one with all the bells and whistles. I chose the one with the lot and boy am I so glad I did. On Saturday I went for my first ride and there was a steep hill or two, thank goodness for gears.

There is something so free about riding a bike and I am looking forward to try and dedicating a time each day to go for a ride, weather permitting of course. Hopefully my daughters will take the plunge and join me. 

More and more people are riding now as there are dedicated bike tracks around to do so. Riding a bike is not only great for the environment. It is also one of the most effective workouts you will do. Here are a few reasons why riding a bike can be so beneficial -

Low impact – it causes less strain and injuries than most other forms of exercise

A good muscle workout – cycling uses all of the major muscle groups as you pedal. 

Cycling has been shown to get you fitter than walking, as it lifts your heart rate to a more beneficial level

Easy – unlike some other sports, cycling does not require high levels of physical skill. Most people know how to ride a bike and, once you learn, you don’t forget

Good for strength and stamina – cycling increases stamina, strength and aerobic fitness

As intense as you want – cycling can be done at very low intensity to begin with, if recovering from injury or illness, but can be built up to a demanding physical workout

A fun way to get fit – the adventure and buzz you get from coasting down hills and being outdoors means you are more likely to continue to cycle regularly, compared to other physical activities that keep you indoors or require special times or places

Time-efficient – as a mode of transport, cycling replaces sedentary (sitting) time spent driving motor vehicles or using trams, trains or buses with healthy exercise.

Cycling is mainly an aerobic activity, which means that your heart, blood vessels and lungs all get a workout. You will breathe deeper, perspire and experience increased body temperature, which will improve your overall fitness level.

The health benefits of regular cycling include:
~Increased cardiovascular fitness
~Increased muscle strength and flexibility
~Improved joint mobility
~Decreased stress levels
~Improved posture and coordination
~Strengthened bones
~Decreased body fat levels
~Prevention or management of disease
~Reduced anxiety and depression.

You can find loads more information at the Better Health Channel.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog. I love reading your comments, they are important to me. V x

Hover to Pin

Blog Design by Get Polished