Wednesday, May 15, 2013

the totally inspirational ANGELINA JOLIE



Angelina Jolie shared her story with New York TImes  of her preventative double mastectomy: "Life comes with many challenges. The ones that should not scare us are the ones we can take control of."

All over the media outlets is that Angelina Jolie has had a double mastectomy, I feel for her but I believe if you are at risk, why not? It is a huge dilemma faced by women who have, or have had or may be at risk to breast cancer. 

'Angelina Jolie stunned the world when she revealed she had undergone a preventative double mastectomy today.

The actress had her first surgery to remove her breasts on February 2, completing the process with a complete reconstruction, including implants, on April 27.

She has described her new breasts as "beautiful" and says she is relieved her six kids won't have to worry about her succumbing to cancer.

"I can tell my children that they don't need to fear they will lose me to breast cancer," she wrote.' 

The final stage of Jolie's double mastectomy involved reconstruction of the breasts with implants.
But Jolie says she does not feel any less of a woman.
"I feel empowered that I made a strong choice that in no way diminishes my femininity," she wrote.
"For any woman reading this, I hope it helps you to know you have options.
"I want to encourage every woman, especially if you have a family history of breast or ovarian cancer, to seek out the information and medical experts who can help you through this aspect of your life, and to make your own informed choices."
The Breast Cancer Network Australia has thanked Jolie for speaking out.
It says while most breast cancers are not hereditary, 5 to 10 per cent occur in women whose families carry the BRCA1 or BRCA2 gene mutation, which is passed down through the family. - abc
Although it is a huge decision and one that we may have to consider I know I would have the double mastectomy too. We have a life to live and if this is what we have to do so be it.

Would you consider the double mastectomy if you had the gene?

image

2 comments :

  1. Yes. Mum has gene. I'm being tested soon. Diagnosed with breast cancer 3 weeks ago.... 1 week post lumpectomy. Find out tomorrow if I need further surgery. Dr in public hospital advised they would not take a healthy breast. Priority is diseased breasts. Lack of funds. Little to no hope of reconstruction. So yes Angelina made a brave choice. But she had reconstructive options not available to us regular people. It's sad that it is still all about the dollar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A brave soul you are. What a huge decision to have to make. There are also other solutions to reconstructive surgery. A TV program yesterday interviewed a lovely lady who had a double mastectomy and she opted out of reconstructive surgery as she did not want to put her body through any more trauma. She now wears inserts in her bras every day. I wish you all the best and hope your outcome goes well. Take care and look after you. x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog. I love reading your comments, they are important to me. V x

Hover to Pin

Blog Design by Get Polished