Friday, January 25, 2013

a model's honest opinion LOOKS ARE NOT EVERYTHING



I first came across this article on Refinery 29 and then read more from the source Ted Blog where the lovely model Cameron Russell intimately shares photos from her previous shoots and the real life before and after the photo session. 

"I am on this stage because I'm a pretty, white woman." That's just one of the honest, revealing, refreshing lines from model Cameron Russell's TED Talk, and it's an absolute must-watch for anyone with even a passing interest in fashion, women's issues, or the ongoing discussion about body image in this industry. 

Though she touches on the ways a real, human model is manipulated, constructed, and transformed from a real person into an aspirational, often unattainable image, Russell isn't just talking about modeling. She's talking about the way young girls grow up all too fast, not in the least due to the constantly reinforced idea that thinner thighs and shiny hair are the key to happiness. She's talking about the ways that physical appearance affects all of us, day in and day out. 

As a mother of two teenage daughters and step mother of another two daughters and a step son this has opened my eyes on that all models are just like us and have all the inhibitions we do, they just look fabulous as well. It may be a dream of many, but if your are realistic it is such hard work and Cameron's words enlighten us to the real life behind the lens. I would never stop my daughters pursuing their dreams, if they wanted to model. I would just let them read this article and then they could make up their minds.






No comments :

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog. I love reading your comments, they are important to me. V x

Hover to Pin

Blog Design by Get Polished