Monday, June 20, 2011

Mum Revelations - Rachael

Meet Rachael creator of Myrtle and Grace



1.     Where do you reside?  
      We live in Mt Egerton a very small rural township that was once a gold mining Mecca. We are lucky enough to have a fabulous, ever changing view from our home and on a very clear day you can even see the Ottways.




2.     What is special about where you live? 
      Well it would have to be the views of course! I do sometimes get distracted by them Weather it be the Wedge Tail family enjoying the thermals out over the valley or the spectacular sunrises and sunsets. My partner is serious about sustainability and his passion has driven the design of our home. We have custom built our home to be a self sustainable, eco friendly environment. Made from rammed earth on the inside and iron on the outside. Complete with Thermal mass wall for temperature stability, solar water and power, sun lizard and soon we’ll also have a wind generator up. With one mighty long 15m wall of triple glazed tilt & turn windows to enjoy those stunning views.


How did you get your business started?  
I guess I was born from necessity. I had these assets just sitting here like the sewing machine and overlocker. I have always made clothing for my 6 kids, and I decided that I could introduce my own little taste of Recycling/ Upcycling into the mix. My label Myrtle & Grace is a happy fusion of vintage pretty, new and upcycled pieces for Boys and Girls. I do my best to ensure that pieces are cut to reduce waste and even then the scrap is turned in to something else like pretty flowers, scarves, embellishments etc. I like to use natural fibre where possible so I can then return it to the earth in our giant underground worm farm that also handles the household waste.


What is your favourite childhood memory? 
My nanna’s kitchen smells on a cold winter Saturday after sport. MMM... soups, roasts, mashed potato and cheese toasted sandwich! It was the best.

What are some memories that you like to create for your children? 
Much the same with the kitchen filled with yummy smells, the creative days we have together are the best so I hope they cherish those memories.


Who inspires you? 
So many inspirational people around me right now gosh it’s hard to name just one or ten! All of my crafting creative friends inspire me, Celeste Vermeend the photographer, Sam Avery from Ohme Ohmi/ The wolf and I, Lauren Ostrowski from BeRemarkable, Emily my 3 year old, to name a few. My favourite little coffee shop in Ballarat “The Upholstery Gallery” is very inprirational I love the eclectic mix of vintage, texture, fashion, colour.


Describe your perfect day? 
Crafting, Creating, Sewing and I’m in heaven!


Favourite holiday destination? 
The kids and I have never actually had a “family” holiday. Finances usually get in the way. I would be happy to be anywhere that’s different from my everyday preferably somewhere warm as I listen to the sleet hitting my window!

What are some of your favourite items that you could not live without? 
My Sewing Machine, my Nikon Camera, My Giant sauté Pan.

What is your favourite product for kids and why? 
Drawing products pencils, crayons, paints etc. they unleash a world of imagination for any child regardless of age, gender or ability. Every piece of “artwork” my children create is precious and priceless to me.
An example of just some of the amazing kids art around home.





What is one product you have bought that you did not need but just had to have? 
Probably my Nikon D5000 DSLR but I love it and use it every day.

Your favourite children’s fashion label? 
My own of course! Myrtle and Grace closely followed by Country Road.




What is your family’s favourite meal? 
Thai Green chicken Curry, I am pretty lucky that my kids will eat almost anything even the 1 year old!

Are you a fashion conscious mother? 
If so what is your favourite label for yourself? I love to layer up- I don’t always get it right. But I hunt op shops for cute tunics and tops throw in something new. I am loving a new little label out of Melbourne “The Wolf and I” Sam and Pip are going to go a long way with it! My latest Wolf and I addition to my wardrobe is their Mongolian Lambswool scarf. Love wearing it!

What is the best thing about being a mother? 
The lovely snuggles, cuddles, I love them! To feel those tiny little arms wrap around and hug right back. Srumptious!!!!




To finish off would you like to add a favourite photo? Tell us why it is your favourite. 
It would have to be this snapshot by my girl friend Lisa. I have always wanted to have a beautiful photo of me pregnant. I was
About 34 weeks with my no 6 baby William. I loved being pregnant and I think this photo sums it all up for me, simple pleasure, natural, beautiful an very cherished moment indeed.



Thank you so much Rachael for sharing a little about you. x
Stay tuned for a giveaway tomorrow........

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog. I love reading your comments, they are important to me. V x

Hover to Pin

Blog Design by Get Polished